Winter has arrived in Northern Michigan

All you can eat Bacon at a bar?  SemperFi, why on earth did you leave?

Yup, Madison. What a nice town (at least where I was). Of course the 42,000 college kids are on holiday break ...  ;)

I did a run the one morning and ran around the Capitol building. What a beautiful building when lit up at 5 am in the morning.

Tues. night we went to a bar called Wandos and had beer and  all you can eat bacon .... they said they serve 200-250 pounds on a average Tuesday night when college is in session.

I go back again in February for my 2nd class. I sure hope the weather cooperates like it did this time.
Next trip, hit up HopCat. Right downtown. My son is the executive kitchen manager/chef there. Decent bar food and over 100 craft beers.

All you can eat Bacon at a bar? SemperFi, why on earth did you leave?
Mark,

Trust me it took awhile before we left ..... Lol!!

We are in TC now and the snow has stopped (for now). White out much of the day tho. About 8 inches new snow so far.

We ( in Petoskey ) got about 5 inches Saturday night ,just flurries Sunday & Sunday night .We have got close to 48 inches since December 26th 

It feels like that move "The day after tomorrow" with these temps. 8 degrees....wake up el nino!

Yeah, -21 wind chill at my place this morning, yuk

Cold here, only in the mid 20's but once again we dodged another bullet; just another dusting last night.  So far this year I have taken care of the snow on the driveway with my leaf blower rather than shoveling

I saw the first ice-fisher men of the season out yesterday ,shanties too 

My wife said someone was out on our lake for about an hour last week. I might have to go drill a hole and see how thick the ice is. Any guesses?

We saw a friend of ours at dinner last night ,he and his group had been out snowmobiling . Another person had told him that the lake was safe enough for travel .They attempted and quickly changed their mind .I think it was Crooked lake they tried ,he said it was all slush .

My wife said someone was out on our lake for about an hour last week. I might have to go drill a hole and see how thick the ice is. Any guesses?
I'll say 6" as that is what my neighbor at the lake drilled thru in our bay on Sunday.  Funny thing is he said the main lake outside of the bay was wide open, no ice

Last edited by a moderator:
I have friends that live on Burt Lake ,still open is many areas .

I'm holding up my thumb and index finger in a "u" shape. I think it is that thick. I tell my wife that's 12"...

....around.

Don't know how thick our ice is but there have been LOTS of ice fisherman out for over a week and saw one regular shanty when we were leaving at lunchtime today. The one small lakeside park/picnic area near us has has 4-8 cars in it every time we drive by.

It's 27* here, right now. Supposed to get to a high of 54*. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!    That's water skiing weather for some of you northerners, isn't it?   :D

Snow???  What is that???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back