Yamaha Outboard Sputtering

ugleeual

Reaction score
unsuccessful boat trip yesterday on the lake... 3 year old Yamaha engine was sputtering off/on (Never died) at both idle and trying to get on plane. Decided to turn around and put her on the trailer (last day of season) to investigate on land. I checked the fuel/water separator, oil, fuel lines, etc and don’t see anything out of the ordinary. I have always used ethanol free gas and did the full annual service about two months ago (oil, filters, gear oil, etc)... engine only has 75 total hours on it. I swapped out the fuel/water separator filter and checked for water.. nothing. Bad gas? Plugs? Something worse? my Motor is under the extended Y.E.S. Warranty and has just shy of 2 years left... any recommendations?

Did you check your plugs ? I was fouling plugs every season when we moved to a new marina which is a 40 minute ride down the river ,all no wake zone

Venting issue maybe? Open the gas cap and see if that helps, sounds crazy but it is more common than people think. Best of luck!

unsuccessful boat trip yesterday on the lake... 3 year old Yamaha engine was sputtering off/on (Never died) at both idle and trying to get on plane.

If sputtering at idle and speed I’d think possibly plugs. If idled ok and dies on load I‘d be inclined to say carb. Did you dump fuel from filter in glass jar to see if there’s water in fuel?

I’ll have to wait until next season... but will add the Heet and change the plugs. Thanks for the advice.

My Yamaha 90 had around 75 hours on it with the exact same problem and changed fuel separator, did octane boost, changed gs station and ended up changing plugs and that solved it, Defiantly put plugs in it and never hurts to have a spare set around also

Back