Yamaha Throttle Lever

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
Picked up my 2021 Bennington 22SSBX with a 115Hp Yamaha a week ago. Had a chance to complete the 1st hour break-in and loving the Yamaha motor. I was surprised the throttle lever didn't have a "button" that you need to squeeze when shifting throttle forward from neutral and/or reverse from neutral. Instead there are detents that you can "feel" when you shift the throttle from neutral to forward but not a physical stop to prevent accidentally shifting the motor into gear. Is this something Yamaha changed in recent years? It scary to think that someone could accidently bump the throttle lever and have the boat take-off.

I have an older ski boat that I have to squeeze a button on the throttle to shift the motor into gear and thought that was industry standard (to prevent accidental shifting). Thanks!

Funny thing is I have never had a throttle with a safety related button or lever you had to push before operating the throttle. Everything I’ve ever rented or driven was as you describe it above: open use with indents to “feel” clicking into gear.

However, I also have never owned my own boat until 2017 either. Prior to that I was either driving someone else's boat/pontoon, or renting something while on vacation.

Minimally, my 2017 Mercury throttle operates the same as you described your Yamaha throttle operating.

That said, I like the idea of a safety style button or lever of sorts. Maybe someone with insight knows why some of these boat motors, including ours, doesn’t have that sort of mechanism built in...?

I don't know for sure, but it seems the change was made when motors became fuel injected. There was no need to have the button to push in while you used the throttle to add choke to start.

The throttle lever is not exactly where someone is going to bump it by accident. Just sayin. Unless they are clowning around in the captain's seat.

Funny thing is I have never had a throttle with a safety related button or lever you had to push before operating the throttle. Everything I’ve ever rented or driven was as you describe it above: open use with indents to “feel” clicking into gear.

However, I also have never owned my own boat until 2017 either. Prior to that I was either driving someone else's boat/pontoon, or renting something while on vacation.

Minimally, my 2017 Mercury throttle operates the same as you described your Yamaha throttle operating.

That said, I like the idea of a safety style button or lever of sorts. Maybe someone with insight knows why some of these boat motors, including ours, doesn’t have that sort of mechanism built in...?
Thanks for sharing your experience Vikingstaff. This must be the new industry standard.

For as many times as I shift in and out of forward and reverse gear while docking, I would hate to have to squeeze a button to get into gear. Plus, I dock standing up and couldn’t reach a button if I wanted to!

The throttle lever is not exactly where someone is going to bump it by accident.
You would think...

Not to throw a certain someone “under the boat”, but I can say my lovely but “non-intuitive motor vehicle of any kind” wife had an inadvertent throttle contact this past summer. :eek:

I asked my wife to take the helm while I peered under the front of the boat to check out my Sea Legs (checking to see if mud was stuck on the foot pads preventing them from going all the way up). Seemed like a benign request.

Lets just say that when she was there, she grabbed the throttle to “balance herself” while standing. D’oh!!! What!?! :oops::rolleyes: Poor attempt at a life insurance grab?;):p

Anyway, no damage. No injury. However, it could have went sideways if we had others on the boat, or small kids with us, or whatever. Needless to say, I was none too impressed with that little mishap.

Love her...but ugh!

For as many times as I shift in and out of forward and reverse gear while docking, I would hate to have to squeeze a button to get into gear. Plus, I dock standing up and couldn’t reach a button if I wanted to!
I guess I am going to have to get use to it. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?...

Mine also has no safety, but hasn't been a problem either of the two times I've used the boat, to be truthful though it does make me a little nervous, probably because of my inexperience driving and the complete sense of panic I have when trying to pull up and dock between other boats.

Totally. Im learning that with docking its better to have my hand at the base of the throttle, versus the handle, to pop in an out of gear with better control. I am going to loosen the friction up just a little next time out to see how I like it vs now.

Previous to Bennington, my experience was primarily with Four Winns of various ages powered by Mercury I/Os and the only button I can remember is the one to rev the engine in neutral. I'd have to agree that they probably lack a "safety" button so as to provide better control, which would actually improve safety in most instances. Interesting observation by DD...

I am going to loosen the friction up just a little next time out to see how I like it vs now.

You will probably end up with throttle creep when cruising. You’ll end up with the throttle slowly backing down from where you set it.

My guess is most of the binnacles installed on Bennington's are the top-mounted style, such as on the helm of a center console. Used in that manner you really don't have as much risk of an accidental bump, but on our boats they are clearly more exposed.

True side-mount binnacles typically have the shift lock-out. Here's a fancy one from Yamaha.

4E1A1A9D-241F-47D6-9B3C-A2739ECAB6BF.png

We had a scary and potentially tragic situation on the lake over the Labor Day weekend that I wanted to share. It was completely my fault, and just when you think it can’t (or shouldn’t) happen to you, it does.

I have a 2019 Bennington 23 SSRCX with Yamaha F115.

It was your classic 7+ pontoon flotilla in shallow cove, 90° temps, blue skies, great tunes blasting, and a lot of families in the water. The perfect way to relax and take in the remaining days of summer.

We had family coming over for a BBQ, so after a few hours we had to take off. Our pontoon, being early to anchor, had other boats stacked and tied up on either side. We pulled up anchor, untied from other boats, and manually slipped out (engine off) with the help of the adjoining boats so they could close the gap after we left.

Once the stern cleared the bow of the other boats I started the pontoon’s engine, while standing, throttle in neutral – My first mistake. I remember putting a few things away while we coasted a little further out from the flotilla, and while standing in the center of the boat reached over the captain’s chair and bent down to lay our docking hook/pole on the floor. As I stood back up it was either my elbow, arm, hand (or whatever) that hit the throttle pretty hard in the forward position, and the boat took off like a bat out of hell, as in a holeshot start. As quick as I could reached over and yanked the throttle back to neutral. Unfortunately my wife was standing on the stern platform at the time getting the last of the ropes, and got thrown off immediately when the boat launched forward. Thank god she was Ok, but definitely shocked, wet, and understandably not too happy. It was an accident to be sure, but really upset me that it happened, and how quickly and easily it could have ended badly.

I’ve been a boat operator since I was 15 (44 years), have taken the boater’s safety course (refresher again when my kids took it), am experienced driving inboards, outboards, pontoons, jet boats, jet skis, etc., big water, small lakes, etc. I also had zero alcohol to drink that day. It was a sobering lesson; do not start or have the engine running unless seated in the captain’s seat. I know, sounds obvious and common sense, but I’d be surprised if I’m the only one not following this practice 100% of the time.

Our ski boat (2005’ Malibu Response) has a safety lock on its throttle. You need to pull up on a ring on the underside of the throttle ball before it will release from a neutral position. You can’t accidently bump it forward or back. Our pontoon throttle has no such locking mechanism (however it won’t allow you to start the engine unless it’s in neutral). But once started it doesn’t take much effort to engage it into gear (you could do it with your pinky). At the very least the friction adjustment should be tightened. I hadn’t thought much about the lack of a safety stop until this incident, but it would seem to be a good idea to have ALL remote throttles come standard with them (as ski/surf boats do).

I checked with a few friends with other brand pontoons/engines (larger engines), and they have a throttle safety stop.

Either way, I’m going to be installing an aftermarket one before next season if I can find one. My current throttle is a Yamaha 704; does anyone know of an aftermarket (or OEM upgrade) with a safety stop?

We had a near accident on Monday that could have been prevented with a neutral lock. My wife was driving and we both forgot that the top was up while approaching a too low bridge. At the last second I yelled “bridge..reverse”. The top actually touched the bridge but no damage do to extreme reverse throttle application. With all the excitement she did not realize that when returning the throttle from reverse she had moved it a little past neutral into forward. Again the top touched the bridge and again no damage. It is interesting to note that I recently repowered this boat and had replaced the old Yamaha control with a newer one that did not have a neutral lock. The old control (see photo) might have prevented inadvertent actuation.

Attachments

• IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 18
I haven’t seen neutral lock on any pontoons or Tritoon throttles around us, or when traveling and renting, ever. Certainly not on pre-owned, but not on new ones either.

Smitdog, are you saying you saw some on some pontoons? Is it just my and they are starting to add them, or not really, and those were specialty throttles custom ordered by someone you know who has a pontoon Smitdog?

Last edited:
I've been in conversation with my Bennington dealer, Yamaha direct, and Bennington direct. Dealer initially was not any help, and basically indicated that it's just how it works. After pressing them for more assistance, they put me in contact with their Yamaha rep. The Yamaha rep told me that for that particular engine (115hp) that's the only throttle control that works with it.

Finally, I called Bennington directly. They confirmed that the Model 704 throttle control only has a slight indent to move it out of neutral, but that my unit may be defective. So they sent my dealer a replacement Model 704 throttle control. I suspect that this is not going work any different than my current throttle control. The lack of a safety stop is inherent to the simple design of the 704, and a replacement is not going to change that.

My understanding is that I would need to switch to another engine manufacturer (i.e., Mercruiser) that has a neutral safety stop built in to truly fix the issue.

Had I known this I would not have purchased a pontoon with a Yamaha engine.

Well, it sounds like Bennington is doing the best they can by sending you a new throttle. As you stated when you networked with your dealer, Yamaha, this forum and Bennington, that is the throttle design. Frankly, that’s the only type of throttle I’ve ever seen on pontoons regardless of brand or motor manufacturer. I have never seen a true throttle lock, ever.

Personally, we have a Mercury Verado Pro. There’s a “notch point” for neutral, but no throttle lock. Perhaps some neutral notches are more definitive, but if I were to bump my throttle, it would surely pop out and into gear.

Anyway, I think it boils down to the safety reminder you gave in your first post above in Sept:

It was a sobering lesson; do not start or have the engine running unless seated in the captain’s seat. I know, sounds obvious and common sense, but I’d be surprised if I’m the only one not following this practice 100% of the time.

At least now you know how sensitive it is and can take correct action and care when at the helm. Best of luck to you on the upcoming boating season.

Last edited:
I have the same engine and throttle. Never and issue and it takes effort to move it in gear or reverse. Neighbor had to have his adjusted as it would move into neutral if he didn’t hold it.

Back