QX line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here come the sand bag comments.

I’m wondering if I should maybe add a couple hundred pounds in the front of the boat to help balance it. Because with the swing back everyone is sitting either across from me or behind me. Just between the two of us, we add 280 pounds to the back. If friends go that’s more weight added to the back. Idk, just a thought
Oh Oh..... DON'T SAY IT!!!!! Oh I just saw that Jack said it! Hahaha!

Oh Oh..... DON'T SAY IT!!!!! Oh I just saw that Jack said it! Hahaha!
I'm not going to say it! I see this has been going on for years lol. I ordered 4 40lbs anchor balls instead of the gritty stuff. See if that helps.

I'm not going to say it! I see this has been going on for years lol. I ordered 4 40lbs anchor balls instead of the gritty stuff. See if that helps.
Instead of adding more weight why don't you try to just redistribute the weight that you have?!? Move people to the front like you said etc! Adding 160 lbs is like adding another passenger. I understand your reasoning but adding weight to the front will help level your boat but it will still sit low in the back! Just my opinion Julianna.....

Or just move the beer cooler - yeah it'll be further away from your hands and mouth but that might actually be a good thing depending on how hot it is outside!

But seriously BK is right, you're just making things worse by adding weight. Use your trim to push the bow down if a little ladder splash is that big of a deal. Or they make stern-lifting props that could help level things out at the expense of a little speed - which if you're adding 160lbs of anchor balls (need a picture of these!) is going to slow you down as well.

Yeah, I think I’d hold off on adding weight to the front until you’ve had more time on the water. While you undoubtedly have a large engine strapped to the back, given the overall size and weight of your Benny, I would have to think that a few people are not going to drastically alter the boat’s disposition.

Well maybe I don't understand the physics of adding the anchors. So adding 80 lbs underneath right seat cushion, 80 lbs underneath left seat cushion and wine and beer cooler in front of gate. That's probably 200lbs added up front to balance. I don't understand why that wouldn't help balance some of the engine weight. Most of the time it's the two of us, 280lbs, plus 40 pound pooch in the center of the boat.
Yes Michiman I definitely need more time on the boat. It's extremely shallow here right now and I am having a helluva time with the trim due to the length of the shaft. I need more practice as you said. I will post pics once I get the weights Mr. Potomac...waiting on Amazon. Plus I bought a small air compressor in case she stops peeing again. Pouring here today so not going out but I will as soon as I can. I do love that boat!

Well maybe I don't understand the physics of adding the anchors. So adding 80 lbs underneath right seat cushion, 80 lbs underneath left seat cushion and wine and beer cooler in front of gate. That's probably 200lbs added up front to balance. I don't understand why that wouldn't help balance some of the engine weight. Most of the time it's the two of us, 280lbs, plus 40 pound pooch in the center of the boat.
Yes Michiman I definitely need more time on the boat. It's extremely shallow here right now and I am having a helluva time with the trim due to the length of the shaft. I need more practice as you said. I will post pics once I get the weights Mr. Potomac...waiting on Amazon. Plus I bought a small air compressor in case she stops peeing again. Pouring here today so not going out but I will as soon as I can. I do love that boat!
"I don't understand why that wouldn't help balance some of the engine weight." The problem is the boat is in the water! Any added weight is going to push the boat deeper in the water regardless of where you place the weight.

"I don't understand why that wouldn't help balance some of the engine weight." The problem is the boat is in the water! Any added weight is going to push the boat deeper in the water regardless of where you place the weight.
I understand that....it would add more weight but it would also help balance the engine weight. I'll give it a try and see what happens. If I sink I'll give you a call :eek:

I understand that....it would add more weight but it would also help balance the engine weight. I'll give it a try and see what happens. If I sink I'll give you a call :eek:

I don’t think you’re understanding his point. The boat was designed for what’s on there. All you are going to do is force the front down further in the water, the rear ain’t going anywhere. It’s not going to change like a fulcrum point (see-saw). You now increase the potential drag AND increase your chances of stuffing the bow into a rogue wave and possibly damaging the boat. If you are going to do anything, look at what gear is in the rear that can be moved forward to lighten the rear.

“I don’t think you’re understanding his point. The boat was designed for what’s on there. All you are going to do is force the front down further in the water, the rear ain’t going anywhere. It’s not going to change like a fulcrum point (see-saw). You now increase the potential drag AND increase your chances of stuffing the bow into a rogue wave and possibly damaging the boat. If you are going to do anything, look at what gear is in the rear that can be moved forward to lighten the rear.”
[/QUOTE]
Not quite right, a boat does move around its center of gravity or more correctly it’s center of buoyancy. If we added 10,000 lbs to front of boat it would go nose first into the briney deep and the motor wouldn’t be touching the water at all. The best point made is the extra weight will be more likely to stuff nose and decrease fuel mpg. Best to decrease weight in back and move to front or just decrease weight.

Last edited:
l did add 150 lbs to both sides and it really does help. And with the adjustment of the trim I feel more balanced. I may be getting less mpg but that doesn' bother me. I am happy with how the boat feels.

Power steering issue. A couple of weeks ago we were coming back on the boat and the steering started to make this whiny, humming noise from the steering wheel. I checked the power steering fluid underneath the helm and it was empty! So I filled it up and the engine moved back and forth with no issues. Seemed ok.

Yesterday I decided to take her for a spin and I checked the fluid again. It was down a little from when I filled it but the level was ok. I started to back out of my boat lift and noticed the steering was not going in the correct direction. The engine was moving back and forth, but it was like I didn't have a propeller on. So I put it in drive position and it would not steer at all. I had no control whatsoever. Thankfully the current was in my favor and I was able to float back to my lift. After I bounced off my neighbors piling. smh. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if a cable broke but I didn't see anything on the engine that looked out of the ordinary.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not....but when I tried to start the the boat, I put the batter on 1. It was dead. So I switched to 2 and she started right up. I have used 1 in the past to start and had not issues. I assumed using 2 would charge 1. Is this correct?

Thanks guys in advance for your responses. Hope everyone is well

If you're losing fluid you probably have a leak! It's draining out somewhere so get on those hands and knees and start tracing out all your lines and connections!

Not sure of your exact setup - power assist hydraulic?

Let your dealer handle it . Sounds like you may have a fluid leak .I run mine with the battery switch in the 1+2 position .

I did see fluid coming out of the engine. It looked like it was draining out of the exhaust port on the engine. Cables looked dry. Yes power assist hydraulic Potomac

If you put the battery specifically on 1 OR 2, you have isolated that particular battery. If on 1+2, then they are running both together; both being recharged by motor alternator. I run on 1+2 like Jack. I isolate #2 when anchored or at a sand bar listening to music to save #1 for cranking. Once underway, I switch back to 1+2.

As for steering, fluid leak, yeah…I‘m with Jack. Under warranty, and an issue that shouldn’t be happening on a newer boat. Take it in. Something’s amiss that shouldn’t be. Let the tech take care of it.

Last edited:
Another reason to run on 1+2, in addition to keeping your batteries charged, is on some large-motor setups the power steering seems to have an issue keeping up while using only one battery. My neighbor has a QX with a 450R Merc and his steering was whiny and acting funny until he switched to 1+2 at the recommendation of the dealer. I've always kept my boat at 1+2 while running and have never had a problem with the steering. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back