Wet Sounds

Mark,

I've put a bunch of car/boat stereos in so I'm pretty familiar with how to do it.  I don't have the AS-10 (yet) but know a little about it.  I had to look up your stereo deck and read through the manual.  According to the specs, that deck puts out 4v (which is good).  There is a subwoofer setting that you can adjust (output and LPF crossover settings).  I'd look at that first.  If you do end up adjusting it I'd suggest turning that AS-10 all the way down (both gain and remote) and start over with those settings.  Double check your RCA cable to make sure you're on the sub out from the deck.  Like Chris stated above, you want to use either the deck's crossover settings or the sub, not both.  On the sub input (gain), you're trying to adjust the input to match the output of the deck.  And, be careful with any bass boost as it can distort and muddy the sound.  I typically run those all the way down (off).  As for the antenna issue, I guess it could cause some sort of interference although I've never really seen that issue before.  Rerouting it away from the sub should be an easy fix if that's the problem.  My .02, hope it helps some.  I'm sure Derrick will chime in here and sort it out as well.

Bulldog can jump in here to. First your not going to get huge thump with a 500w amp. Im running 1100-1200 Polk @1 ohm. that thumps. Also from what i have read don't use a crossover in the head unit and the Amps. One or the other. I set the frqs at the amp. Suspect your Sony is a 2 Volt pre out. 4+ is better but not sure that will help thump (there are aftermarket output boosters). Not that familiar with WS amps but does the amp have a telephone line on it? Mine does and its used for remote gain. So if it too much thump i can quickly adjust.

Try rerouting that antenna. As high as possible away from other electronics and see what happens.

yea, im still lurking.
My Sony has 4V preamp outputs, so that's good.  I may be just been expecting more out of the sub. I've not heard one before, so didn't know what to expect.  Just what I've read. 

Not a "telephone" type jack, but it does have a remote that plugs in to the amp that I can control the gain.  I've got the amp gain maxed and use the remote to turn up/down.

I'll have to see how the antenna wire is routed and see (it may just be bundled by the harness).  I was just surprised that the amp essentially made the radio portion of the head unit useless.

I currently don't have the sub bolted down.  I want to rearrange under the helm to get things to fit better.  I currently have two "isolated" batteries mounted in there against the fence for my trolling motor.  I'd like to get the sub closer to the fence to maximize the storage area.  

Well I agree with everyone! I think you guys put too much faith in my knowledge sometimes! It really isn't much! Anyway, I never use that remote bass control knob, actually I don't think I even have it plugged in. I would turn everything down and start all over again. Good idea on checking your proper preouts, and also that they are firmly connected! I don't use any setting on the deck, mostly because since mine is wired in to its own power source, I pull the fuse on it everytime I am done and there is no way I am going to try to reset everything everytime! I wish I still had my boat here, I would go and check what my settings on the amp are and give you a starting idea. Someone else may be able to give you an idea at what they set for the crossover frequency, probably between 80-120, you may have to tweak it a little based on your own preferences. I use an SMD distortion detector. I've said it before, I'll say it again, watch the reviews on you tube and what not, it works. Far better than ANYONE's ear.

As for the antenna, how close are your new power runs to it? Also I believe the RCA's can interfere if they aren't well shielded. I hope some of this helps, although I'm not saying anything someone else didn't already say. The sub can hit hard, it's just a matter of tweaking. Plus you may not always want it hammering, so you have to find that happy medium. Also, what are you listening to? a CD, Ipod? The recording quality will make a huge difference.  

Double check your RCA cable to make sure you're on the sub out from the deck.  Like Chris stated above, you want to use either the deck's crossover settings or the sub, not both.  

On the sub input (gain), you're trying to adjust the input to match the output of the deck.  And, be careful with any bass boost as it can distort and muddy the sound.

Rerouting it away from the sub should be an easy fix if that's the problem.
I'll double check the connections, but I'm positive I have the RCA hooked to the deck right.  There are two black outputs whereas the others are clearly marked per speaker channel.

I don't understand your gain comment.  I thought the gain was set to match the speaker/woofer capability.  (V = sqrt (pwr*watts)).  The gain is set by measuring the voltage on the output of the amp to the woofer.  This is easy with a separate amp, but difficult with the AS-10 because you have to take it apart. 

I'll make sure I zero out the LPF and gains in the deck.

Good idea on checking your proper preouts, and also that they are firmly connected!  I don't use any setting on the deck,

Someone else may be able to give you an idea at what they set for the crossover frequency, probably between 80-120, you may have to tweak it a little based on your own preferences.

I use an SMD distortion detector. I've said it before, I'll say it again, watch the reviews on you tube and what not, it works. Far better than ANYONE's ear.

As for the antenna, how close are your new power runs to it? Also I believe the RCA's can interfere if they aren't well shielded.

Also, what are you listening to? a CD, Ipod? The recording quality will make a huge difference.  
Preout RCA connections will be checked as will the deck settings.

I'm not that high on the LPF.  I'll bump it up a little.

I don't know how I can use the SMD on the sub...similar to above, I thought it measured between amp and woofer/speaker.

I'll reroute the antenna as well as look for better RCA cables.

Audio source was Bluetooth.  I couldn't get a decent radio station.

I'm not trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something fundamental. 

I ordered a SYN4 tonight.  My deck is only good for 17watts/chan.  The Syn4 should get some good power to the 6.5s.

Crap, my bad! Wasn't thinking clearly! I used the SMD on my of two subs, not the AS10. You should decide try actually plugging in your iPod / phone, or whatever u use. I noticed a huge difference in bass when using Bluetooth vs directly connected. Worth a try.

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been regarding the gain on the amp.  Basically, your trying to match the amp input to the output of the deck (4v).  On that AS-10, Wetsounds already did the homework and pretty much matched the amp with that subwoofer as a completed unit so there's nothing else to worry about there.  Here's a link that explains it better than I.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been regarding the gain on the amp.  Basically, your trying to match the amp input to the output of the deck (4v).  On that AS-10, Wetsounds already did the homework and pretty much matched the amp with that subwoofer as a completed unit so there's nothing else to worry about there.  Here's a link that explains it better than I.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
Thanks...got it.  Ultimately, we are saying the same thing.  You match the gain of the amp with the output of the deck to get the desired amplitude that matches the speaker. 

I called Wetsounds and talked with Rob.  He was helpful, but not real engaging. It seemed like I was bothering him.  Seemed to desire tuning by ear vs DMMs/O-Scopes.  Anyway, he said the following should be my settings assuming my deck have 4v pre-outs

LPF = 80Hz

Gain = ~2/3 of range

Bass Boost = 1/2

I made the changes and it didn't seem to impact the amount of bass I was getting at lower levels much.

I installed my Syn4 this week and though not really tuned yet, I can see how that will help with the low level bass.  Initial gain settings were at Min.  This required significant deck volume to get adequate sound from 6.5s.  This resulted in significant bass from the AS10.  Essentially what I was looking for - more bass at low 6.5 volume.   I'm at about 100hz in HPF settings and gain is about 1/4...seems to be a good compromise between volume levels and the thump I was looking for.

I need to spend more time tuning, but I believe I'm going to get what I want out of the combination.

Cool.  I've never used any sort of scope or anything for tuning although I'm sure it's more accurate.  I've always just started out tuning with the basics and micro adjust from there. I figured tuning it to my ear is fine since I'm the one listening to it.  I try and match the deck output and gain as close as possible and be careful about too much bass boost.  My goal was always to get enough output from the amp without introducing distortion.  Also, most of the time my deck settings are flat.

You guys need to consult a neighbor a few houses down from me. He blasts his music and it sounds absolutely terrible. Its like he has a honda civic on his tower with a huge fart can exhaust and a blown head gasket. Sure it is loud, but very far from a quality pleasing mix.

Someone sounds jealous.

You guys need to consult a neighbor a few houses down from me. He blasts his music and it sounds absolutely terrible. Its like he has a honda civic on his tower with a huge fart can exhaust and a blown head gasket. Sure it is loud, but very far from a quality pleasing mix.
You're too young to be the grumpy old man. That's reserved for a few of us special people here.

I think Andy gets that from hanging around here too much.

They say Bennington is "not your Grandfather's Pontoon Boat", but there sure are a lot of grandfathers on here...

With age comes wisdom. A lot of wise grandfathers on here.

I don't care about the volume, it is entertaining...I care about how bad the mix/sound is. There is so much distortion my dog was even shaking his head. He was blasting this a while back too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yjufiij80A

and then some of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRA-Dwv86E

The only wet sounds I know are when I am holding my head under water and his crappy mix can still be heard, and following a bad bean burrito.

+ 1 on the cool grandfathers here. My wife use to work with a lady who was 36 and was a grandmother....so you can still be young and a grandpa!

Ok back to the topic!

Grandparents sometimes make wet sounds when the walk...is that on topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I saw that too.  Great deal.

Back