2021 Dash layout options

I was on the fence about it. And frankly, almost went without it but glad I didn't.....

I think I've made my mind up to go with one of the digital display offerings in place of the analog gauges.

Thanks for the opinions, thoughts, feedback, pictures, and testimony everyone.

And thanks to lakelifeMN for this thread!

I thought the same thing but I have no complaints with the 7” display.

Attached a pic from a recent run with my favorite map/engine readout. The Merc screen is very cool looking.
Does anyone know if I can program CLDave's Mercury type display for Yamaha? Pretty sweet!

Does anyone know if I can program CLDave's Mercury type display for Yamaha? Pretty sweet!

It is purdy - and with as customizable as the Go9/7's are, I wouldn't be surprised. Also fun to note - you can actually stream the output of the Simrads to a tablet or phone (say if you wanted to upgrade the size of the screen without buying a new unit).

Here's a quick overview on how to do some simple customizations:

I didn't order any screen on my boat, because I didn't like the options available at the time (2019 G series, ordered in 2018). That being said, I really want a screen and figured I'd add one later.
I come from a bass boat with a huge screen and loved it. I don't need the sonar or sidescan anymore, but my Mercury engine info was over-layed on the screen thru Smartcraft and I want that.
Currently have this dash, with the Smartcraft Tachometer and Speed gauges that also displays other info in a very small window if you scroll thru the options (a big pain while going down the lake).
IMG_4985.JPG
I would like something more like this.
2019-BENNINGTON-23 GSB SPS-Conroe-New-N35207-447873.jpeg

I could order that dash and get the Simrad unit, but does that allow my to overlay Mercury Smartcraft info on the chart screen? I haven't researched it yet, but I don't think so. My dealer isn't the best, so I assume it would be a cluster to try and order it. What dealer has a good parts guy that will work on stuff like this? (with good prices)
If I go with a Lowrance product, I know I can get the over-lay info I want on the screen. If I have too I will re-work the dash to move the gauges to the outside and add the screen in the middle. I think I could get a bigger screen to fit if I take that route. Then I can recover the dash or even have it hydro-dipped.
I'd love to hear other thoughts or ideas on my future project.

I didn't order any screen on my boat, because I didn't like the options available at the time (2019 G series, ordered in 2018). That being said, I really want a screen and figured I'd add one later.
I come from a bass boat with a huge screen and loved it. I don't need the sonar or sidescan anymore, but my Mercury engine info was over-layed on the screen thru Smartcraft and I want that.
Currently have this dash, with the Smartcraft Tachometer and Speed gauges that also displays other info in a very small window if you scroll thru the options (a big pain while going down the lake).
View attachment 28056
I would like something more like this.
View attachment 28057

I could order that dash and get the Simrad unit, but does that allow my to overlay Mercury Smartcraft info on the chart screen? I haven't researched it yet, but I don't think so. My dealer isn't the best, so I assume it would be a cluster to try and order it. What dealer has a good parts guy that will work on stuff like this? (with good prices)
If I go with a Lowrance product, I know I can get the over-lay info I want on the screen. If I have too I will re-work the dash to move the gauges to the outside and add the screen in the middle. I think I could get a bigger screen to fit if I take that route. Then I can recover the dash or even have it hydro-dipped.
I'd love to hear other thoughts or ideas on my future project.

You can network the Mercury Smartcraft information on the Simrad chart screen. I have read about it and was in a discussion with someone about a year ago about it on FB. I did dig up a diagram of how it is all supposed to connect together that Mercury had sent to someone else:

Mercury Smartcraft/Simrad Diagram

This is the 2021 R dash. This is pretty sharp. Does anybody know if you order the LX with the speedo option is this the layout that comes with it? Otherwise is it possible to order an LX with the R raised helm? This would be perfect if I could fit the 7 inch Simrad where the Garmin is. Thanks.

21 R Dash.JPG

This is one area I think Bennington could do a better job. They should show online each dash layout based on the options ordered.
When I was researching boats and what to order it was really hard to pin down what my actual dash would end up looking like. It’s doubly hard when no dealer has boats in stock to look at.
As far as getting the R Dash in a LX series boat, I don’t think they would do that. They want you to step up and order an R series boat. But hey, never hurts to ask.

This is one area I think Bennington could do a better job. They should show online each dash layout based on the options ordered.
When I was researching boats and what to order it was really hard to pin down what my actual dash would end up looking like. It’s doubly hard when no dealer has boats in stock to look at.
As far as getting the R Dash in a LX series boat, I don’t think they would do that. They want you to step up and order an R series boat. But hey, never hurts to ask.
I agree with you! It would be easy enough for them to have a stock photo of what the "standard" dash looks like and then what the optional layouts look like. That is why I started this thread. Especially with the "new" L and LX series most of the dealers I have found don't have any or just 1 or 2 boats so far. This makes it very difficult to try to figure out what it would look like. As stock starts coming in keep posting pictures of what you find out there so everyone with these questions can see the different layouts. Thanks everyone!

The 23LSR I have selected was on the showroom floor. It has two gauges, speedometer and RPM. This dialog made me realize I did not see a fuel gauge, is that part of the “modes” on the speedometer or RPM? Thanks in advance.

The 23LSR I have selected was on the showroom floor. It has two gauges, speedometer and RPM. This dialog made me realize I did not see a fuel gauge, is that part of the “modes” on the speedometer or RPM? Thanks in advance.
Do you have digital controls/gauges? I do have a button that toggles through some digital motor information on my two traditional gauges. However, the helm layout can vary significantly, and their are some newer and fancier options for it compared to when I ordered our 2017.

If your 2 gauges are similar to mine, you should be able to push the button on the bottom and toggle through fuel, trim, and a few other things. In my picture below you can see if my gauges on each side of my Simrad look similar to yours...you can just barely see the buttons on the bottom of each gauge.

46BB6E2F-703E-4D58-94FA-7E9B2E377215.jpeg

Here is the research I did comparing LX and RX Helms. I also wanted the redundant manual gauges, but was talked out of it due to amount of customizing, cost, and did I really need a backup, as long as I can GO. LOL

Attachments

• Benny Helm RX vs LX.pdf
    214.3 KB · Views: 24
Thank you gentlemen! Spartan, my two gauges appear to be identical to yours, that makes sense now. Hopefully we get possession of the boat on Thursday, so my questions going forward will not be as elementary as they are now! Thanks for your patience!

Those of you with just the Simrad and no gauges what are your thoughts? Do you miss having the gauges? Does it matter much since things likes speed and tach don't really make much difference? Even though I love tech I wish I could have gauges and the Simrad together so I could use it for depth finder/ water maps and still keep note of speed ect. I know being on the water you don't even need to know speed or RPM but I feel I would miss it. I don't really like the idea of split screen with small gauges and small water map. Just trying to figure out what would be a happy medium. Thanks again for everyone's feedback and pictures. This is turning into a very good thread.
Feedback to an old post. I only have a 7" Simrad in my dash. I like to monitor status of all systems so I have a chance to correct an issue before it becomes a problem. The Simrad displays about everything for me on one screen. Below is my default screen layout. Bottom right field that shows a blank for "STRUC" is water depth that works at lower speeds. The field under the time field is labeled "BLACK JACK" and that is for my jack plate height. I also have an in-floor gas filler on the aft deck and there is a mechanical gas gauge on the tank I can watch as I add fuel or use as a back up gauge if needed. My only disappointment is that the Simrad is recessed in the dash and the Simrad covers will not fit.

Attachments

• Simrad snapshot 20_11_05.jpg
    Simrad snapshot 20_11_05.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 32
Bennington being a top shelf manufacturer really missed the boat on their design of the dash for this model, other upper end manufacturers did a much better job providing Helm appeal, which in my opinion is very important. I have only the semrad in the center and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the remaining spaces on each side, it looks unfinished and doesn't meet my expectations, these boats arent inexpensive as you all know.

Last edited:
Bennington being a top shelf manufacturer really missed the boat on their design of the dash for this model, other upper end manufacturers did a much better job providing Helm appeal, which in my opinion is very important. I have only the semrad in the center and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the remaining spaces on each side, it looks unfinished and doesn't meet my expectations, these boats arent inexpensive as you all know.

So you did’t see the helm prior to purchase or did your expectations change after purchase. I’m surprised that if it’s that big of an issue, why you purchased the model you did. I’m sorry you Aren’t happy but the whole idea of the SIMRAD is the all in one with no other gauges typically needed.

I seen I prior to purchasing, every area of most anything you buy isn't going to be a 10 out of 10 and love my boat and would buy this model again, but their design came up short in this area.

I seen I prior to purchasing, every area of most anything you buy isn't going to be a 10 out of 10 and love my boat and would buy this model again, but their design came up short in this area.
Bear in mind it probably came up short with a SIMRAD installed but I bet it looks much different with gauges installed. That’s typical of even car dashes. I don’t like electronic digital display gauges in a car dash, I like the analog “look”.

Last edited:
Back