New Boat has damage

Greg23LSB

Reaction score
Being new to the pontoon world I wanted to get folks input on something. I finally picked up my new 23LSB on Thursday. The boat was in the water, we water tested, then I closed and went to get the trailer registered so I could bring it home. Went back to the marina, hooked up an brought it home. After getting it home I found the center pontoon is dented on the bottom. It is in the very back under the open well where the outboard mounts. Looks like it's the result of someone being rough with a forklift. This was not an inexpensive purchase and I'm very anal about taking care of everything I own. When we sold our old boat last year after 12 years of ownership there was not a nick, scratch or blemish anywhere on the boat. So now I'm left with how to handle this. Called the marina on Saturday and they talked about replacing the center toon, something that I really don't think will go well. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the pontoons can be repaired? Especially since it's under the well and the inside is accessible? Very discouraged right now, shame on me for not requesting it be pulled out of the water before closing so I could thoroughly inspect it. Quite frankly right about now I wish I hadn't bought the boat, nothing worse than starting out with this kind of frustration.

You have every right to feel this way! You spent alot of hard earned money on your boat and it should be perfect when you acquire it. Maybe your dealer can order a replacement center toon but you can enjoy your boat this summer and have it replaced in the off season?!? Knowing how you take care of things I don't think you would be happy with a repair of a brand new boat. Do you have pics of the damage?

Best bet is warranty claim and let the dealer and Bennington deal with it. I wouldn’t worry about repair it will look good.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Damage2.jpg
    Damage2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Damage3.jpg
    Damage3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Damage4.jpg
    Damage4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 99
I can only imagine your frustration right now. I’d be the same way.

I don’t think warranty repair will go anywhere as this seems to be damage caused by someone. I would imagine that party will need to replace the pontoon under an insurance claim. You never know for sure though. Gotta try each way most likely.

To the OP: Did the marina take responsibility for the damage? Did THEY offer to replace it? Did they give insights into how it happened, or just tell you how they thought it needed to be repaired/replaced? Curious what they said on that end of it all? Pictures you can share of the issue/damage?

As to toon replacement vs. repair, without details I lean with above on replacement. I think that is what you’d be happiest with in this specific situation...?

If the boat is useable (sounds like it is) I totally agree with Daril. Why let something not impacting useage and performance bother you right now (way easier said than done)? Enjoy the (hopefully) otherwise wonderful boat. Make arrangements via your marina and/or insured party involved for an off season center pontoon replacement.

At end of the season, hand boat off to them for its center pontoon replacement, and then set back and wait for it to be fixed in the off season. By next spring, it would then be set for another good boating season.

I’ll play devils advocate. IF it can be repaired (no structural integrity issues) with “minimal” obvious visual distraction, being its under the boat, I’d think about a repair and maybe some “reasonable“ refund. When I say reasonable, im talking both parties. Not $50 and not $5000. I’d think if they take responsibility, get it repaired that looks “acceptable”, kick you $500-$750 bucks and or some special free service deals, call it a day and move on. I get it, it’s scuffed/scraped, but it’s underneath and it will get more scuffs over time. Yes, they will be caused by you, the owner, but scuffs never the less. Don’t dwell on this and let it ruin the 99.9% of the boat that you know will bring you enjoyment.

If it can be repaired I'd be good with that. I've only had an initial conversation with the marina, they have not seen it yet. I am sending pictures and they are sending someone to look at it. I'm concerned about replacement, my guess is it will never be the same. I'll keep you posted.

Let the dealer replace it . I had one replaced on my 2014

Although it might not be structurally damaged it looks pretty messed up! I know it's on the bottom but still it should not be like that! Replace it!!!

Hard to be positive when seeing something like that; especially on a new boat!!!

I will try so that maybe…maybe…you can feel a little better. As bad as it is with “them” nearly puncturing the pontoon, at least they didn’t. Not punctured, so it is useable, safe, and functionally fine.

In my mind, it reinforces using the boat normally this season while replacement and responsible paying party (warranty or insurance) gets sorted out in the summer. Then, while boat is not useable in off season, having it sent in for the center pontoon replacement.

Back for next season. You won’t miss a beat!

Had they punctured that pontoon, you’d be SOL for the time being until replaced - and that likely would take months. Most likley you’d miss the entire 2022 boating season If that were the case. Thankfully, a full puncture is not the case.

As someone that lost use of their boat for literally an entire year (2021) due to a major electrical system problem and parts shortage/backlog problems, I’d have given ANYTHING to have had a useable boat this past year (and then to simply have had my repairs done this past offseason).

Stinks. Infuriating. Justified in being upset. No doubt about it.

But, you can use it, and no one else will even know the issue is there.

I don’t know if this perspective helps a little…tiny…bit. I hope so. I am not trying to diminish your situation what so ever. It stinks! But its salvable. Sorry for your situation and hope it can be resolved in a decent manner for you.

Last edited:
If you do have it repaired, make sure that the repair facility is approved by Bennington. I wouldn't want to take a chance of voiding the lifetime structural warranty.

Sorry that you are dealing with this after what should be a very exciting and rewarding purchase!

I can somewhat empathize with your situation as we just finished the purchase on a 24LX a couple of weeks ago and are still waiting for delivery because there are missing wires from the engine to the gauges. Admittedly it's not a completely fair comparison as it will require repair but is not true damage, but still has had me and family quite bummed over the last few days thinking about a brand new boat having to be worked on before we even get it. Through the good advice from people on this board (many of the same weighing in here), I'm feeling much better about it all and hoping that it won't be long until I'm able to start enjoying the season.

Seems like good advice to use the boat this year, come to an agreement with the dealer for off season replacement/repair, and make sure that it is done to your standards and satisfaction before it's time to put it back in the water. Good luck!!

I’ll play devils advocate. IF it can be repaired (no structural integrity issues) with “minimal” obvious visual distraction, being its under the boat, I’d think about a repair and maybe some “reasonable“ refund. When I say reasonable, im talking both parties. Not $50 and not $5000. I’d think if they take responsibility, get it repaired that looks “acceptable”, kick you $500-$750 bucks and or some special free service deals, call it a day and move on. I get it, it’s scuffed/scraped, but it’s underneath and it will get more scuffs over time. Yes, they will be caused by you, the owner, but scuffs never the less. Don’t dwell on this and let it ruin the 99.9% of the boat that you know will bring you enjoyment.
You know after reading Semp's post I thought long and hard about a repair. If it can be repaired to your satisfaction would you be good with that?!? Then I thought....... Can that damage be repaired? How exactly do they repair 2 gouges in aluminum pontoons?!? Anyone?!?

typically use a stud welder and a slide hammer to remove the dents. Then a few stages of sanding to get rid of scrapes.

Looking at the pics, it’s in the motor well correct? This doesn’t affect flotation at all as there’s drain holes in the rear of the cap. I’d still be inclined to try to repair them best as possible and get a reasonable $$$ incentive.

Looking at the pics, it’s in the motor well correct? This doesn’t affect flotation at all as there’s drain holes in the rear of the cap. I’d still be inclined to try to repair them best as possible and get a reasonable $$$ incentive.
As much as I would feel exactly the same way about damage on my brand new pontoon, I have to agree with this approach of repair the best they can and get some incentive for having to live with it. At the end of my first year with our new pontoon, the marina that lifts our pontoons out of the water (with a very large fork lift) scrapped the middle toon some in the same area as your damage and it bothered me for a while, but as we used it last summer I got over it. Especially because it wasn't in an area that I would worry about future integrity/leaks. Good luck in your decision, and congrats on the new pontoon!!

There is no way I live with that damage. Your dollars were hard earned, and you have the right to an undented boat. Schedule repairs for the winter during your downtime, and enjoy it until then. You will likely have other issues they can deal with then, too. But be sure you get everything in writing....at a minimum an email confirming all the intentions.

Given that the boat has only been at the dealer or on your trailer, and it's been a couple days, you have an easy claim with the dealer. That's a forklift ding that could only have happened before the boat was in your control. Good luck!

Absolutely get it fixed.
May I make a suggestion? Tell them not till the off season though. Don't give up any of your summer for this, which in my opinion looks like your fine to use it. I don't think you have a leak from what I see. Have them fix it during the winter. Dealership might take it for a few weeks. Hate to see you without your new toy. Here in Michigan we only get 6 months.

Back