Bennington owners cribs

Beautiful house and car. My guess is Coldwater Lake. If it's the one I'm thinking of, we actually drove by there on our way to dinner Sunday night.

Edit: on further look, that's not the house at Coldwater, but it's beautiful anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful House!!!

It reminds me of a photo in one of the Bennington brochures. 

Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words….The home is on Walled Lake in Novi, MI, approximately 40 miles NW of Detroit.  I built it myself (General Contracted) very rewarding once completed.  The car was a gift to myself once the house was done  :)

First job I had after college was as a rep for a company based in Novi, the name of the company was also Novi, they manufactured tub surround systems.  There were 7 of us reps that covered the 50 states, I was basically on the road the entire week and just home on weekends.  Great job at the time and had quite a bit of fun in Novi when we would attend sales meetings

BAK I am just east of you in Howell on Thompson lake. My dad grew up in novi. I actually remember almost drowning as a kid in walled lake. 

Brain deprived of oxygen, that explains a lot Lakeliving

I remember it like it was yesterday and I was probably 6 years old. Scared the crap out of me. From that moment on I had a new respect for being on/in the water.

To get this thread back on track (sort of) I see someone shot some drone footage of our small lake a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzkWe-0-Yk

Very Nice Lakeliving, I really enjoyed that.  I'll bet that two islands connected by the sandbar is a hopping place to be in the summer. 

To be honest we only use them when there are no crowds. We take the dog out there so he can swim. Once the crowds show up we leave and anchor off shore. We're not drinkers and party folk so we he avoid that scene. A few boats is manageable but when they are lined up all the way around it is too stressful for me to monitor everything. We were there once talking to one couple, I turn around and someone was reaching in my boat trying to feed my lab pistachios....WTF. Another sad part is they leave the islands trashed when they are done. Damn lake lice.

776A1738-02C2-4535-8A09-047708F2EACC_zpspj4fyqzi.jpg

Yes the popular places do get trashed by a**holes that don't think but Kathy and I love the crowds and that is what brings us.  There are many locations of islands and sand bars on our lake and they are packed where it is hard to beach.  However if you just come in slow and easy there are always someone that you don't even know that wade out to grab your boat and bring you through all the tight places. 

Many of those locations have party days such as Aquapalooza and one of our favorites is when Sand Island does concerts when they haul in generators to supply power for the bands.  These are usually organized by the various cities travel bureaus or groups such as Sacandaga Lake Boating Community which we support 

That sounds like more family orientated fun that we would enjoy. Our islands seem to draw the drunk, act nuts and crap in the bushes crowd. He have met some fellow lake front owners at the islands which has been nice.

That sounds like more family orientated fun that we would enjoy. Our islands seem to draw the drunk, act nuts and crap in the bushes crowd. He have met some fellow lake front owners at the islands which has been nice.

We have one island (Kasota Island) on our lake, very nice, sandy and firm shallow beach all the way around, great for beaching the boat, small kids, walking. It was privately owned for many years with nothing on it, then threatened to sell to developers a few years ago. Locals banded together, raised $1.2mm+, and it was turned over to the land conservancy forever. There is also a trust to maintain it now and people pitch in to keep it clean. They sometimes have weddings, outdoor church services, and other celebrations there (only with permission), so it's very nice.

With that said, it can still get fairly unruly at times, with wall to wall toons, music, alcohol, but certainly nothing like I've witnessed on other lakes. The great thing is, since the locals are "invested" in it, both neighbors and off lakers get zero leeway if they mistreat the land, leave trash, dogs not picked up after, etc. Someone will always speak up and take care of it, firmly supported by the local crowd. We feel fortunate to be able to use it if we choose to do so. Like you though, the party crowd isn't really our thing, so we go out in the midweek evenings when few are there.

I just realized my avatar is the Benny beached there  :)

Ready for foam insulation and drywall

Deadheaded 2 circuits to the loft for later work.

8' windows and doors overlooking the lake 

/monthly_2016_04/large.h6.jpg.689011f444de2208be1966e377cddd3b.jpg/monthly_2016_04/large.h5.jpg.fef7a707d79c9bcc379ab94ca9d45f59.jpgS/monthly_2016_04/large.h4.jpg.5898c4fe6f78fc14549dc7adeec964e0.jpg/monthly_2016_04/large.h3.jpg.012441272e398bbc1fba6f5723ac30d6.jpg/monthly_2016_04/large.h2.jpg.eda516fd57025d968c76654edc35348c.jpgSlider to lake side deck/monthly_2016_04/large.h1.jpg.f0af39067416c20e246754e0ba8d7f50.jpg

Pella windows... great choice! My father worked there for many years, great company!

Nice! Why sliders and not French doors? We love ours.

Looks Great Remedation

Nice! Why sliders and not French doors? We love ours

We were going to have French doors at the eating area for our house in OH until we measured and realized they would intrude into the space.  We visited our neighbors house while under our construction and saw their slider.  It takes no room for passage and it is so not the old aluminium sliders.  We had Anderson spec'ed and they never told us that we could get 8' slider doors.  We ordered 6' x 8' with a transom window.  We love it but when I talked to the Pella guy, he was sure you can have a 8' x 8' door.  Since it is in a walkway between the bedroom wing and gathering wing, having no swinging doors to intrude on traffic was perfect for me.

The new sliders are beautiful.  They are not bank vault heavy but they are solid and are as tight as our front door,

Below are some exterior pictures of our new cottage.  This will very likely be our retirement home down the road.

Lakeside view in the summer when we made our offer on it:

Lakeside view in the summer when we made our offer on it:

Lakeside view this winter after we bought it:

I might try another post with a couple of interior pictures since these were easier to add than I expected.  We are very excited about spending time at it this upcoming summer with the new Bennington.

Back