QX line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julianna, I guess I’m a wimp because without a windshield, I can’t imagine cruising at that speed for very long.
I’m a wimp also. My sunglasses left a permanent indentation on my face for several days due to WOT! Surprised you didn’t hear me scream

Beautiful boat! Surprised it didn't come with the Swingback enclosure to be able to sit back there while underway.....

Beautiful boat! Surprised it didn't come with the Swingback enclosure to be able to sit back there while underway.....
There are two different enclosure options. But they are options. Just depends on if it’s ordered with it or not. I guess they didn’t want it…?

Opted not to purchase it. The grandkids have to sit in front and guard the adult beverages and dogs. The kids ride on it, while undertow, facing forward. And when we beach, I push all kids in the water lol, then we face backwards and relax on the swing back. With an adult beverage or two of course! Was gorgeous day out on Sanibel yesterday. Couldn’t have asked for a better day.
We played with the Simrad yesterday. Trying to figure the damn thing out. Has soo many bells and whistles on it. But I think we have the charts set up.
I do have a question about the Simrad. It has the C-map US/Canada and Coastal maps installed on it. I assume this is basic. On my Garmin, that I had, it showed all the canal names and great detail. Do I need to buy one strictly for Florida? Or can I update what I have somewhere? I looked all over YouTube and couldn’t figure out what we are doing wrong.

If it's anything like Garmin and the high-end Navionics mapping (not just contour but relief, 3D etc) you have to load "tiles" into your map. Basically the memory in your unit is limited so you can only hold so much data and detail - not the entire US. You can expand the memory with SD chips but still is limited. So the tiles are large areas of the country that you select, then it will download into the chip then display on your nav.

I personally think it's annoying and idiotic - and in hindsight I probably would have been better off with the low-end mapping files as it might have fit the entire U.S. in the memory. Hopefully that's NOT the case with your Simrad.

Opted not to purchase it. The grandkids have to sit in front and guard the adult beverages and dogs. The kids ride on it, while undertow, facing forward. And when we beach, I push all kids in the water lol, then we face backwards and relax on the swing back. With an adult beverage or two of course! Was gorgeous day out on Sanibel yesterday. Couldn’t have asked for a better day.
We played with the Simrad yesterday. Trying to figure the damn thing out. Has soo many bells and whistles on it. But I think we have the charts set up.
I do have a question about the Simrad. It has the C-map US/Canada and Coastal maps installed on it. I assume this is basic. On my Garmin, that I had, it showed all the canal names and great detail. Do I need to buy one strictly for Florida? Or can I update what I have somewhere? I looked all over YouTube and couldn’t figure out what we are doing wrong.
There are definitely different map options - I forget which I use now but it wasn't the default option. The one I picked has detailed topography and lake names (I'm on a chain of 14 lakes). Keep playing with it - there are a lot of different configs.

As for prop, I'm running 14.5 x 17 Enertia on my 350 Verado and the holeshot is nice and zippy, top end is 50+ mph, and economy is pretty decent (unless at WOT of course). I'd recommend a 17.

We have a Simrad. The only thing I use it for are the basics....... Fuel level, trim level, rpm's, water temp, engine hours, speed, depth, and battery level. You can set it up anyway you want! Screenshot_20231023-165040.pngWe know our lake well enough where we don't need the maps, charts, fish finder or to plot a course etc etc.....

Thanks guys appreciate your help. Going to play with Simrad today to see if I can get more detail.

I called 3 times and left msg for service mgr to call me back at MM Fort Myers. Never returned my calls. Evidently they don’t work on Pontoon’s and don’t want to work with me. Found a certified Mercury dealer to at least get the oil/gear case changed Thursday. The main Bennington dealer in the area are the people I refuse to do business with any longer. (Sigh…long story). So I think I will call Bennington and see who they recommend in this area. Have a great day everyone!

So I drove the boat, Thursday morning, to the certified Mercury dealer for the 10 hr oil change. Service mgr said he would call me around 3 to let me know what time I could pick it up. He didn’t call so I called at 4. He told me it wasn’t ready and would be the first one worked on Friday morning. I called back Friday around noon and my service guy was off today. So i talked to the tech guy. He told me….” That when they lifted the boat out of the water, the engine dropped and hit the ground”! (insert expletives on my end under my breath)!!! He said “ they would have to sand and paint it” He also said “it wouldn’t start”. WTF? So he’s keeping it over the weekend and will call me Monday. I don’t understand if it just dragged a little and scraped the paint, why wouldn’t it start?!?!
Dealer is still waiting on Bennington to see what they are doing with my toons.Honestly, I’m about to turn into Sybil if this doesn’t get taken care of ASAP. I’m getting tired of being nice and understanding. So next week I will get some answers if I have to call Bennington myself. (Sorry ladies and gents I needed to rant)!

So I drove the boat, Thursday morning, to the certified Mercury dealer for the 10 hr oil change. Service mgr said he would call me around 3 to let me know what time I could pick it up. He didn’t call so I called at 4. He told me it wasn’t ready and would be the first one worked on Friday morning. I called back Friday around noon and my service guy was off today. So i talked to the tech guy. He told me….” That when they lifted the boat out of the water, the engine dropped and hit the ground”! (insert expletives on my end under my breath)!!! He said “ they would have to sand and paint it” He also said “it wouldn’t start”. WTF? So he’s keeping it over the weekend and will call me Monday. I don’t understand if it just dragged a little and scraped the paint, why wouldn’t it start?!?!
Dealer is still waiting on Bennington to see what they are doing with my toons.Honestly, I’m about to turn into Sybil if this doesn’t get taken care of ASAP. I’m getting tired of being nice and understanding. So next week I will get some answers if I have to call Bennington myself. (Sorry ladies and gents I needed to rant)!
Holy crap!

If you dropped my engine on the ground, I don't want it back. Be the person that doesn't back down from what YOU thing is right and fair.

None of that story from the Merc service provider makes sense. Regardless it sucks and make sure you don't get hosed, I would document everything and go over your boat with a fine tooth comb before accepting it back. Once it leaves their yard any found damage of course will be blamed on you.

Thanks guy I appreciate the support! I’m taking my neighbor with me who works on his Formula all the time. I hate to say it ladies but sometimes it helps to take a man with you. I wish you guys could come with me. Plus I’m changing my profile name to Sybil lol. Anyway, we are going to make a surprise visit Monday morning. I want to see the boat out of the water. Make sure there isn’t any damage to the bottom of the toons also. Plus I’m calling my dealer about the so-called shark hide application. I want some answers! I’m getting po’d now.

I agree it doesn’t make sense. I wonder if the batteries were dead. The kid told me to leave the battery on and keys in it when I dropped it off. But I did turn the master switch off. Hopefully that is the problem. I just went to see the boat, it was out on the lot, and only saw a couple of scratches.

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6814.jpeg
    IMG_6814.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6803.jpeg
    IMG_6803.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6802.jpeg
    IMG_6802.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 41
Spoke with the young man who was driving the boat to put on the lift. He said when he was lining it up a gust of wind/waves slammed the engine into the dock. It scratched the cowling and he panicked and hit the master switch. That’s why the boat wouldn’t start.
‘Then they tried to sand and repaint the cowling and it didn’t look good. So they are ordering another one to replace it. So I was happy about that conversation. And I took the boat home until the part comes in. Geez, I love that boat.
Also spoke with dealer about my toons. He said they would have to be acid washed and shark hide re-applied. I hope they know what they are doing. He’s suppos to call me back today to set this up. So I’m happy everything is getting taken care of.

Spoke with the young man who was driving the boat to put on the lift. He said when he was lining it up a gust of wind/waves slammed the engine into the dock. It scratched the cowling and he panicked and hit the master switch. That’s why the boat wouldn’t start.
‘Then they tried to sand and repaint the cowling and it didn’t look good. So they are ordering another one to replace it. So I was happy about that conversation. And I took the boat home until the part comes in. Geez, I love that boat.
Also spoke with dealer about my toons. He said they would have to be acid washed and shark hide re-applied. I hope they know what they are doing. He’s suppos to call me back today to set this up. So I’m happy everything is getting taken care of.
You should call the owner of Shark Hide and talk to him about your 2nd paragraph. I don't think he's going to recommend that process. Stay on top of that or you will have a mess.

You should call the owner of Shark Hide and talk to him about your 2nd paragraph. I don't think he's going to recommend that process. Stay on top of that or you will have a mess.
Ok thanks!

Do a search in the upper right corner for acid wash.

Ask them to Polish the toons. Even if it may cost a bit ,it would be worth it.

Acid Washing makes me nervous. If they are not very careful with prep and the job, they can cause irreversible damage to different ares of the boat. Do a search above on Acid Wash, and look for posts from Michiman and what happened to his boat when he had his done at the dealership. Again, if done properly and carefully, it can clean things up, but any mishap, carelessness, missed prep, and you cannot correct the aesthetics damage caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back